5/10/2009

The Front Loader

Over a year ago, when we were getting ready for baby #4. My laundry piles were out of control. We were using a smaller top load washing machine. I knew doing laundry for 6 people would only get worse. Newborns also seem to create lots of laundry. Girlfriends and a sister highly recommended the FRONT LOADER. I liked the sound of it. It sounded like it could handle all the clothes for a large family. After doing my research, waiting for a good sale, we purchased one. Now I would like to share my opinion after using it for over a year. Pros of the FRONT LOADER:
  • It can handle lots of clothes at a time.
  • You can wash sleeping bags, comforters, & large bulky items
  • There is no agitator in the middle, so I even wash my decorator couch pillows in the machine
  • It uses less water, less energy, cheaper on your heating/water/power bills
Cons of the FRONT LOADER:
  • Not as great for extra small loads, treating tough stains (It's suppose to sense how much water to use for small loads, but I think it's built for large loads)
  • My Kenmore cleans okay, clothes seem to stay in same position, not really getting moved around enough to clean all the spots all over a garment.
  • You can't soak clothes, which I loved doing with my top loader. I would leave my top load machine lid open let my clothes soak for bad stains.
  • You can't add as many clothes later once it gets into the cyle. My machine allows for adding clothes only in the first few min. Even then I have to press a bunch of buttons, I never remember which ones to push, I get confused and nervous like I'll brake it or something
  • It spins clothes super fast, and takes all the water out of the clothes in the cycle. Clothes get extra wrinkly, especially jeans. All the wrinklage doesn't seem to come out in the dryer either.
  • You have to pay extra for the pedalstools to place underneath it to raise it higher. Which we didn't do. Now I'm on the floor most of the time loading/unloading the clothes.
Other things to note when using a front loader:
  • It takes longer to wash. About an hour a cycle. Longer for prewash, and special loads.
  • Then dry time is less. About 45 min. a load
  • You have to use different laundry soap. He only soap.
  • You have to keep the door open, when it is sealed tight,closed no air gets through, the inside of the machine can smell like mold quickly.
My general opinion after using a front loader for over a year is:
They are great for large loads, and families.  Hard to imagine life without one.
If you can, pay extra for the pedalstools.
I do miss my top load for treating stains, delicates and small loads.
In a dream home, I would build a large laundry room with windows, and plenty of space for my top load and front load washing machine. I think you need both.
P.S. To save money we bought a large regular dryer and not the matching front load dryer.
Dryers are still the same as years ago.  The only con you can't stack, if you don't buy a matching pair.

No comments: