6/17/2010

Erupting Volcanos

On a boring summer day with your kids - Make a volcano!



1Use moist soil to form a mountain on a tray. (The kids had fun gathering dirt in the backyard, I think sand, beach buckets would work well to make your volcano. You, the mom, might need to do a little sculpting to get the right shape and form for your mountain.
(I used a cookie sheet, & covered it with newspaper.)
Scoop out the top or center of the dirt/mud mountain & place a small dish in the mountain for your crater.
(The book I read suggested using a lid from a spray can. It needs to be able to hold 1/2 c. of liquid
Laundry cups could work well too.)

2 Pour 1/4 c. of warm water into the crater. Stir in 1 T. of baking soda, a few drops of red food coloring, and a few drops of liquid soap. Now pour in 1/4 c. of vinegar - and watch your volcano erupt!

P.S. I included the results of my kids' marshmallow test in the previous post.

No comments: