11/12/2009

Soups for Heidi

My cousin, Heidi, requested some of my soup recipes.
She has 3 darling girls, and 1 more girl on the way.
I hope these recipes will satisfy her soup cravings.

Easy 

Ham 'n Corn Chowder
1/2 C. chopped fully cooked ham ( I chop up ham we use for lunch meat)
1 1/2 C. milk
1 pkg. (16 oz) frozen corn
1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of celery soup (condensed)
*2 md. green onions sliced (1/4 C.) *optional, I hardy ever use

Mix ham, corn and soup in 3 qt. saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low.
Simmer uncovered 10 min., stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with onions.
Recipe from Betty Crocker's Good & Easy Cookbook p.298
(Great Book, by the way, over the years I've used a lot of easy recipes from this book)


Taco Soup with Black Beans
1 lb. browned ground beef
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15 1/4 oz) corn, undrained
1 (15 oz) can of black beans
1 (15 1/2 oz) can of red kidney beans, undrained
1 envelope of dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 envelope of dry taco seasoning
1 small onion chopped

Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Cover; cook on low 4-6 hrs.

Garnish with Taco or Corn chips, grated cheese, sour cream

* This recipe I think is so tasty & easy. You just open cans and dump. My kind of cooking.
The hardest part is browning your meat. Recipe from Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook p. 36 

Hard

Thick N' Hearty Chicken Cheese Soup 
(I've never made this soup, this is a new one for me)
1 c. carrots, shredded
1/4 c. green onion, sliced
3 T. butter
1/4 c. flour
2 C. milk
1 can (10 3/4 oz) chicken broth
1 can (12.5 oz) chicken (I'm sure you could use any kind of cooked chicken)
1 c. cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 t. Worchestire sauce
1/8 t. pepper

In medium saucepan, cook carrots & green onions in hot butter about 10 min. or until tender but not browned. Stir in flour. Slowly add milk, chicken broth, worchestire sauce, & pepper. Cook & stir until thickened & bubbly. Stir in chicken & cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese melts. Serve hot.

I think this recipe looks hard, because you need to stay close by and stir, to get the timing right for your cheese. I am easily distracted and do other things then come back to curdled, burnt cheese soup. 
Just like my burned grilled cheese sandwiches. Easily distracted, hard for me to stand, stir, & stare at food while it cooks. Recipe from Kirkland Signature Costco's brand.


Pumpkin Soup from the Friend magazine, Click here to get it.
I tried it this week, with my pumpkin puree. I enjoyed it. It was good, something new, and fun to try.  The kids gave it a big thumbs down. It was a little time consuming. It's important you follow the step to
put the soup/broth in the blender to puree it. It looked much better, and was creamier that way.
The cheese makes it taste extra good. But I love cheese.


 

2 comments:

Karen said...

mmmmm! I love soup, especially this time of year. I love putting haylee down for a nap and snuggling up on my couch with my warm bowl of soup to read a good article out of the ensign. Seriously this is one of my favorite things to do. I love a cheesy potato soup

Stacey said...

Pumpkin soup was big over in France and so delicious! They actually had packets you could make it from. Mmm, I miss it.