12/13/2010

My Mother's Stew

(Not photo of my stew, but it looks just like it!
This staged photo from internet, looked better than any photo I would take.)

I think this beef stew is delicious in the winter time. My kids even eat it, with vegetables in it.

1 1/2 lbs. beef stew meat
1/4 c. flour
2 T. shortening

Flour the meat and brown in shortening in a stock pot.

Then add the following ingredients:
2 1/2 C. hot water
1/2 clove of garlic
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 T. chopped onion
1/8 t. all spice
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. paprika
1/2 t. worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. lemon juice
1/4 c. tomato juice

Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hrs.

Chop up:
1 c. carrots (about 10 small)
1 c. cubed potatoes (about 2-3 md potatoes) (peeling is a personal choice)
1 c. pearl onions ( I can't find them in the grocery stores, if you are lucky I find them in frozen veg. section)
1/2 c. diced celery (about 1 stalk)

Add chopped vegetables and cook for another hour, until vegetables are tender.
Potatoes always seem to take longer to cook - Add them first, cube them small-may take longer than an hour to become tender.

I double this recipe.

No comments: