4/16/2009

Tate's Turn

Tate, October 5th, 2005 about an hour old.
If you've been following by blog a little bit,
then you know I've done a little spotlight on each of my kids. It's time to spotlight Tate.
I don't know where to begin to write about Tate.
I've already written, rewritten and edited several sentences.
He's hot and cold, charming then requires lots of patience.
Smart, funny then difficult and uncooperative.
He likes things just so and struggles going with the flow. If you give him a fork, he wants a spoon. If you give him pj's to put on, he wants another pair that's dirty, stuck at the bottom of the dirty laundry pile.
In all of these situations, (there are plenty of them all day) he never lets up until you give in. As a parent, I wanted to teach my children;"Tough, that's the way it is. Be grateful for what is given you. Eat with the fork and wear these pj's."
NOT with Tate, very stubborn, every parenting trick goes out the window with him.
I suppose I'm the one that has a lot to learn still. Your children have a way of humbling you, teaching you things all the time. He is my most quotable kid. He is excellent with the English language and using the right words at the right time. As a very young toddler, he could speak clearly with big words. Recently, he was having a nightmare, and I was trying to get him settled back into bed and calmed down.
While whining he exclaimed, "But, I can't handle it, I just can't handle it." He's 3.
Most kids, just cry and say they are scared. He talks to me like an adult.
I used to think he suffered from being the middle child. I've thought a lot about this. Heavenly Father knew his personality, knew the attention he would need and require.
I feel strongly that he is the way he is. It doesn't matter which place in our family he would have come. First or last. He is Tate. I consider it a blessing that he is in the middle, where he can have the examples of older siblings.
We love Tate, he is a little charmer and can be quite charismatic.
He is a ladies' man. He likes girls.
I'm not sure what his likes/dislikes are. They are changing all the time.
I'm anxious to see how things go with Tate. How will he turn out? Only time will tell.
I would love a little peek into the future to see him as an adult.
  
"Little Man Tate"

2 comments:

Karen said...

wow, I gained patience reading about his little personality. He's just a sweet little boy to me. I know we shouldn't have favorites but Tate is Weston's favorite. He loves that little guy.

Kristen said...

I love this post. Thanks for sharing about your little man.