1/24/2020

2019 Books

Here are the books I read in 2019:
I read more than I thought I did. Cool!
I like keeping it track of the books I read.

Insights from a Prophet's Life: Loved, Loved this one!
One of Sheri Dew's best. Not so much as a biography as just really great stories
about who our prophet is and great insights into our church. Highly reccommend.

The Forgotten Garden: A fun fiction book about the past and present with some mystery and romance. Also some fun mini fairytales mixed in the book to read too.

When Life Gives Your Pears: So Good, So good! I was down with pneumonia in the fall
for a 8 weeks+ My sister gifted this book for me to read. It was so great, real, faith-filled,
and humorous. It was one of the few things that helped me when I was so sick.

Crossing to Safety: A classic written by an author we all should get to know as much as Hemingway or CS Lewis. His writing style and way with words is very well done. I don't know if I loved the book as I read it, but I was intrigued enough to keep going. The ending surprised me and even though I didn't love the book while reading it, months later I still find myself thinking about the book, the characters and insight from the book. A great book for a book club discussion.

Educated: I didn't love this book as much as most of you did. I loved that she educated herself,
and escaped her extremely difficult family situation. Her writing was great, and I was hooked reading the whole book, it was hard to put it down, but as it got towards the end I felt sick to my stomach.
And the whole book left me feeling terrible.

Be Frank with Me: Was a fun fictional read about a famous author who had a famous book when she was in her early 20's and then because of her quick rise to fame and wealth went into seclusion. She had a son with some challenges and years later needed an assistant to help her with her son while she tried to write a new book for the first time in years. An fun, interesting read.

A Gentleman in Moscow: I tried, but couldn't finish this book. I just couldn't get into it, and didn't have the patience to keep trying. Did you like it?? I think I would like a movie version better.

The Great Bridge: Currently reading and liking, but it's long and detailed. We were in NYC this last summer and we walked the bridge so I wanted to learn more about it. This one may take me a long time to finish, but I'm willing to keep trying.

Becoming Mrs. Lewis: This one I had high expectations. It was good, and I like their story.
But it's hard to know how much was fiction, or real to life. I did like that CS Lewis appeared to like her just the way she was, and it was interesting to note how much influence she had in his writing over the years. It has inspired me to read more CS Lewis books.

A Lion and A Lamb: In preparation for our family's summer trip to see the sacred grove, we read this book about Willard Bean who was called as a missionary with his new wife to help bring goodwill back between Latter-day Saints and the people of Palmyra in the early 1900's.
Their story was so great. Worth reading with your family as you prepare for the 200th birthday of The First Vision.

Insights from a Prophet's Life Russell M. NelsonThe Forgotten Garden[FORGOTTEN GARDEN][Paperback]
When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny PeopleCrossing to Safety (Modern Library Classics)Educated: A MemoirBe Frank With Me: A NovelA Gentleman in Moscow: A NovelThe Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge


Becoming Mrs. Lewis: The Improbable Love Story of Joy Davidman and C. S. Lewis

A Lion and a Lamb: The true story of a young couple’s 24-year mission to return the LDS Church to its birthplace

No comments: