2/10/2010

The ABC's of spices

My spice cupboard used to look like the above picture.
A disorganized mess where I could never find what I needed.
I recently read in RealSimple that you can alphabetize your spices.
I never would have thought of that in a million years. Brilliant and yet so simple.
I decided to do it, and wanted to put them in a drawer instead. Here are my finished results:

I'm very excited about this. We shall see if it really works.
Sometimes good ideas still don't change your life.

My sister-in-law, Ingrid, showed me her tupperware drawer over the weekend.
Another brilliant idea; keeping tupperware in a drawer not a cupboard.
My tupperware was always a mess in a cupboard.
It was way down low where I had to hunch over,
and I could never find the matching lid to go with the right container.
It was a huge mess.
I put my tupperware in a drawer now too. I think this will work. Thanks, Ingrid!

Total time for both projects: About 30 min.

I asked Kyle, my 6 yr old, if he wanted to help me with the spices.
I thought he could help with the ABC part.
He said, "Yeah sure." When we got started he said,
"I don't want to do this I thought we were going to play spies!"

5 comments:

MollyE said...

That is funny about Kyle. Sam is always telling me about playing spies at recess. He must have been so excited when you asked him!

Mom said...

hmmm, this post reveals how much cooking you did before you were married, since apparently you did not know that your mother's spices have always been alphabetized. What else did I forget to teach you?

Kristen said...

That is such a simple concept, and I can't believe I haven't done that yet. I don't know how often I search my spices in frustration for the one I am looking for. Thanks for the tip.

I have my tupperware in a drawer and I love it. I bet you will too.

Unknown said...

Katie, I am honored...I have never been used as a good example in the kitchen before!

Mama Yo said...

Wow! Great idea!

Although, don't you worry about your kidlets getting into the spices now? I'm imagining that mess in my kitchen and it's not a pretty picture (of me).